This tutorial will guide you to install the most recent version of Genymotion 2.2.2 on Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn. Genymotion is an Android emulator for PC. Genymotion supports Windows, Mac and Linux OS. The new Genymotion 2.2.2 has some new features and updates such as:
The location defined in the GPS widget is now saved and retrieved at the next start.
- When starting a virtual device, a pop-up window could report that it was in an incompatible state. It can now recover and start correctly.
- Starting and stopping applications in the virtual device could lead to memory leak and heavy memory usage. This issue has been fixed. We are still investigating on memory leaks.
- Genymotion could crash on Microsoft Windows when some third party security applications were installed. This issue has been fixed.
- Double-clicking inside a maximized virtual device window does not minimize it anymore.
Android 4.4.2 version
- The ‘adb reboot’ command did not reboot the virtual device. This problem is fixed.
- It is now possible to connect to the virtual device adb daemon via multiple network connections (TCP).
To install Genymotion on Xubuntu, you will need to install Virtualbox first. Please read my previous post to install Virtualbox 4.3 on Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn.
Once Virtualbox already installed, we need to download the Genymotion package for Linux. In order to be able to download, you will need an account at genymotion.com. Create account and login to cloud.genymotion.com. Select the Linux package from the download page.
You will have a file called: genymotion-2.2.2_x64.bin for 64 bit system and genymotion-2.2.2_x86.bin for 32 bit computer. Now install the package
chmod +x genymotion-2.2.2_x86.bin
Once finished, run Genymotion with this command from the installation directory. For example: