The new stable version of Linux Kernel 3.14 is now available for download. Here I want to show you how to install Linux Kernel 3.14 on Elementary OS Luna. Before we go through, what’s new in this Linux Kernel 3.14?
Based on the official website, the new Kernel 3.14 comes with the following new or updated features:
- Enhanced memory compression (ZRAM memory compression)
- Generic CPU Boost
- Nouveau adds new NVIDIA GPU support
- NVIDIA Tegra PRIME support
- AMD Cryptographic Coprocessor support
- More fixes for the open source AMD driver
- Improvements for Radeon DPM, etc.
To install Linux Kernel 3.14 on Elementary OS, you can do the following steps
Open Terminal and type these commands:
wget http://goo.gl/s9nC21 -O kernel-3.14
chmod +x kernel-3.14
sudo sh kernel-3.14
Wait until the process finished. When done, reboot your PC.
In case you want to go back to previous kernel and remove the kernel 3.14, execute these commands:
sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.14.0*